Entry Fee Inclusions
7 DAY EPIC PACKAGE INCLUDES:
The Pioneer is a full service race, so from the day the race starts, all riders need to do is ride. We’ll take care of everything else!
The Entry Fee includes the following services;
- Race Entry to the seven day mountain bike stage race
- Daily tent accommodation. One two-man tent per rider in The Pioneer Race Village to allow for gear bag and mattress (six nights, starting Sunday night after the first day of riding to Saturday after Stage 6). Tented accommodation includes set-up and pack-down of tent each day. Participants must bring own mattress and sleeping bag
- Daily meals, including breakfast and dinner in The Pioneer Race Village (starting with dinner on Sunday night on the first day to Saturday breakfast before Stage 7
- Opening ceremony and pasta party meal
- Closing ceremony and awards dinner
- The Pioneer Race Village amenities including showers, toilets and social lounge
- Timing, prize money and prizes
- Daily Awards at the end of each stage
- On course nutrition including a recovery pack at the end of each stage
- Daily check points on course to track all riders
- Daily transport of The Pioneer Gear bag to each stage starting from Stage 1
- Transport of competitor’s bike from Christchurch to Geraldine for the start of Stage 2
- Transport of competitors bike box and surplus gear from Christchurch to Queenstown
- Race medical services on course and free on-site basic treatment in the Race Village
- Basic mechanical services on course and in the Race Village. Additional costs may be charged depending on what is required
- Daily results service
- Bike wash and security in each Pioneer Race Village
- The Pioneer Cycle Jersey
- The Pioneer Gear bag
- The Pioneer Race bag (drawstring)
- The Pioneer Drink bottles x 2
- The Pioneer finisher t-shirt (must finish event)
- The Pioneer Finisher’s medal (must finish event)
- Photography service (competitor photographs can be purchased after the event)
Entries open at 9:00am Thursday 1, June 2017.
Please check back for more detail on entry fees soon.
Conditions of Participation
The Pioneer seven day mountain bike stage race event is open to aspiring amateur and professional mountain bikers from around the world. Entrants must be 18 years of age as at Stage 1 of the race. The race features challenging distances and terrain including lots of climbing. It is the rider’s responsibility to arrive at the event with the necessary fitness and stamina level to participate.
All riders are required to sign a waiver form when entering.
The mandatory gear list contains what we believe is the absolute minimum to keep you safe in the alpine environment. The weather is very unpredictable in the high country, a front can blow in and out of the mountains very quickly.
Unlike some other global mountain bike stage races, this is a remote back country event where protection from the elements and medical/support services could be some time/distance from athletes needing assistance. It is therefore imperative that the mandatory gear is carried at all times. A Gear check will be carried out initially at Athlete Registration on both your mandatory basic gear and your mandatory emergency gear. Random checks will be made at the start chute each morning and at any time during the race.
Should you need to purchase gear in Christchurch on arrival, click here to find a list of stores you could visit.
Mandatory Basic Gear
Must be carried on every stage:
- A Helmet
- Warm hat
- Windproof jacket
- Tool kit – 1 per team
- Must contain two spare tubes (if using tubeless ensure sealant is refreshed every 2 months and carry at least 1 tube as an emergency back-up), a bike pump, a multi-tool, tyre levers, patch kit and a chain breaker (that you know how to use). A speed link/spare chain link is also useful
- First Aid kit – 1 per team
- Including bandages, plasters, tape, gauze, whistle and two survival blankets. We also recommend carrying pain relief medication (e.g. Panadol) for headaches, sunscreen and electrolyte replacement powder (e.g. Gastrolyte) for cramps, along with other medications you might need (e.g. prescription or hay fever medication).
Mandatory Emergency Gear
The Emergency Gear will only be used if advised by Race Organisers at the Race Briefing the night before. This will be in cases of impending weather or climate changes.
- Spare Base Torso layer
- Warm tights - we recommend merino wool or polypropylene tights
- Full fingered gloves
- Waterproof jacket - with tape sealed seams. This has now been updated to include a hood and sleeves. While the hood and sleeves are not compulsory, we strongly recommend it.
Terms and Conditions
Online entries close on 19 January 2017, unless sold out prior.
Registration requires one team member to register as the team captain, and the other team member to then join a team.
Step One: Team Captain Registration. When registering as team captain, you will be required to create a team name and password. Once you have successfully entered as team captain, please inform your team mate of the team name and password.
Step Two: Team Member Registration. When the second rider registers, they are required to register as a team member. As part of their registration process, they will be asked to join a team, and here they will need to search for your team by name, then enter the password.
The Team Member must register within 10 days of the Team Captain entering. Once both successfully entered, you will be registered as a team within the registration system.
If a registered team wishes to cancel their participation in the event for whatever the reason, the team must notify Ironman Oceania in writing via email@example.com, providing his/her name, team name and contact details.
Cancellation requests received up until midnight, 30 September 2016 will receive 80% refund of their entry fee. Entry refunds requested from 01 October to midnight 30 November 2016 will receive 50% of their entry fee. Entry fees are non-refundable from 1 December 2016.
If a team wishes to cancel their entry from 1 December 2016 to 19 January 2017, they have the option to rollover their entry to the following year, less an Admin fee of $500 per rider for the 7 Day Epic.
In the event of any 'Act of God' causing a cancellation of the event, or personal circumstances preventing me from participating, my total entry fee is no-refundable.
A rider change can be made up until midnight 19 January 2017. A $250 Rider transfer fee will be charged to the withdrawing rider. The receiving rider will need to pay for the entry fee in order for the transfer to process, then the original rider will be refunded their entry fee less the $250 transfer fee per rider.
To carry out the process the current rider needs to:
- Go to myevents.active.com and log in to their active.com account
- Find the registration they wish to transfer and click the link ‘Transfer the registration to another rider’
- Follow the necessary steps
- A $250 transfer fee will be charged to the withdrawing 7 Day Epic rider.
- Please note: the receiving rider will need to pay for the entry fee in order for the transfer to process, then the original rider will be refunded their entry fee less the $250 transfer fee.
- Please note add-on packages/services purchased are neither transferable nor refundable.
FULL TEAM CHANGES
A full team change can be made up until midnight 19 January 2017. If an unregistered team wishes to take over the entry of a registered team, a double rider change can be performed in the online profile. The above costs and dates are applicable.
TRANSFER BETWEEN RACE DISTANCES
Should you choose to transfer your entry between race distances:
- Please be aware that you cannot transfer to a sold out event.
- If you decide to upgrade your event to a longer distance and space is available, you will need to pay the difference in entry fees.
- If you decide to downgrade your event to a shorter distance and space is available, unfortunately we are not able to refund the difference in entry fees.
If you would like to transfer between race distances prior to midnight Thursday 19 January 2017, please email us firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Pioneer 7 Day Epic has the following nine categories:
1. Open Men’s Team (Two male riders 18 years and older)
2. Open Women’s Team (Two female riders 18 years and older)
3. Open Mixed Team (One male and one female rider 18 years and older)
4. Masters 40 years plus Men's Team (Two male riders both 40 years or over)
5. Masters 40 years plus Women's Team (Two female riders both 40 years or over)
6. Masters 50 years plus Men's Team (Two male riders both 50 years or over)
7. Masters 50 years plus Women's Team (Two female riders both 50 years or over)
8. Masters 60 years plus Men's Team (Two male riders both 60 years or over)
9. Masters 60 years plus Women's Team (Two female riders both 60 years or over)
Your age group is your age as at the day of the first Stage.
Daily Awards: a daily awards ceremony is held at the end of each day in the Race Village. This will include the awarding of the ‘leaders jersey’ in each age category with the fastest cumulative time for both team members after each day. In addition to this, prizes will be awarded for daily stage winners in each category.
Wrap up Awards Party: held in Queenstown, prizes will be awarded to 1st, 2nd, 3rd in each age category and the below prize money will be awarded to the overall winners.
Overall Men's Winning Team
|NZD $5,000||NZD $2,500||NZD $1,500|
|Overall Women's Winning Team||NZD $5,000||NZD $2,500||NZD $1,500|
|Mixed Team||NZD $5,000||NZD $2,500||NZD $1,500|
The overall winners in each age group category will be the team with the fastest cumulative time for both team members over the 7 days of racing.